Essentials of Car Paint Care and Why It Matters
Familiar with these car paint damages?
Hard water spots, orange peel paint, scratches, swirl marks, hard water spots, orange peel, scratches, and swirl marks…
Hard water spots, orange peel paint, scratches, and swirl marks.
Bird droppings, chemical etching, oxidation, and rust.
While these car paint damages may be unavoidable, the way we apply preventive surface care practices is what makes the difference in maintaining our car’s paint, shine, and resale value.
To maximize paint protection, it’s key for us to understand the area that gets the most paint damage: the car’s clear coat surface:
(1) Clear coat serves as the first line of defense between the environment and the car. Most paint damage and defects occur on this layer. (2) Neglected paint often calls for paint restoration work.
(3) Paint protection shields your car’s clear coat, adds gloss, makes it easier to clean, and helps preserve the resale value of your car.
Keeping the above in mind, paint protection is what helps us minimize paint repair jobs and reduces cost in time. Note the various types of protection based on quality, maintenance, and longevity:
(1) WAX: Natural-waxy. Basic short-term protection from UV rays, fading, dirty, acid rain, bird drops, industrial fall out. Typically lasts for couple washes. Applying every 1-3 months depending on condition. (2) SEALANT: Man-made or Synthetic; Similar protective benefits to wax but better and longer-last gloss. Apply every 6-12 months depending on condition.
(1) CERAMIC COATING: Nano-ceramic. Permanent long-term protection reduces maintenance work + goes beyond a sealant, providing water repellency & scratching resistance. Can be applied to interior/exterior surfaces. Touch-up once a year to rejuvenate water repellency and self-cleaning effects. Best paired with PPF for max protection. (2) PAINT PROTECTION FILM: Polyurethane. Robust long-term protection against rock chips, bug splatters, paint peeling, etc. Can be applied to paint surfaces, headlights, and mirrors. Safely removable on factory paint. Touch-up every 3-months with PPF sealant to preserve high-gloss. Best paired with ceramic coating for max protection.
Net net, investing in paint protection is about applying preventive maintenance to effectively…
- Minimize the deterioration of your car’s paint and surfaces from oxidation, rust, and debris
- Preserve your car’s resale value by extending the life of its paintwork and surfaces
- Make car cleaning easier
- Reduce the hassle of ice-scraping
- Allow water to roll off your windows for increased visibility and safety when driving
If you’re in Los Angeles and interested in ceramic coating and/or paint protection film services, check out www.xscenddetailing.com or come by our shop in Long Beach, California.
While every caution has been taken to provide our readers with the most accurate information and analysis, please use your discretion before taking any decisions based on the information in this blog as much of the content requires professional guidance and proper care. Xscend Detailing, LLC will not be liable for any loss, inconvenience, or damage upon the use of information in this blog.